Ninety-five percent of the rotations are located on campus and/or in Charleston. The only exception is the 10-week rotation in Spartanburg, SC, which is about a three-hour drive north west of the Holy City.
Our Facilities for Residency Training:
- Medical University Hospital: Sponsoring institution of the Medical University of South Carolina’s Ob/Gyn Residency Program. Since November 2003, Cannon Place has housed all of the outpatient clinics - general gynecology, maternal fetal medicine, resident continuity and colpo clinics.
- MUSC Women's Care at Cannon and the Prenatal Wellness Center: The primary site (135 Cannon Street) for outpatient faculty and resident services including high risk obstetrics and gynecology clinics.
- Coastal Fertility Specialists: Since July 1999, the Medical University of South Carolina contracts with Dr. John Schnorr and Dr. Michael Slowey for advanced fertility services and reproductive endocrinology (REI). Through our agreement, our residents participate in the care of these patients under the supervision of Dr. John Schnorr.
- Charleston Women's Medical Center: One intern on Family Planning spends one day each week at Charleston Women's Medical Center.
- Trident Hospital: Our third year resident on the Gynecology service spends one day each week in the operating room at Trident Hospital. This site was chosen to increase intraoperative experience. Our affiliation agreement is with Carolina Center for Gynecologic Oncology and our residents are supervised by Dr. Ward Katsanis. The resident is based at the primary institution.
- East Cooper Medical Center: The physicians at Coastal Fertility Specialists occasionally operate at this site. Our resident on the REI rotation participates in these surgeries. Our affiliation agreement is with Coastal Fertility Specialists and the resident is not based out of the hospital.
- Roper Hospital: One fourth year resident on Coverage and the third year resident on Gynecologic Oncology spends one day each week in the operating room at Roper Hospital. This site was chosen in increase intraoperative experience. Our affiliation agreement is with Carolina Center for Gynecologic Oncology and our residents are supervised by Dr. Scott Jennings. The resident is based at the primary institution.
- Spartanburg Regional Medical Center: Each third year resident spends 10 weeks at Spartanburg Regional. For nearly 30 years this rotation has highlighted our residency. This rotation provides: (a) exposure to an admixture of obstetrical and gynecological patients; (b) an opportunity to function as a chief resident under the on-site supervision of Dr. James Scardo and Dr. Suneet Chauhan who supervise their activities; (c) operative experience in a hospital staffed by obstetricians/gynecologists who received their training in a variety of centers throughout the United States; (d) supervision of family medicine residents as they rotate through obstetrics and gynecology.