Breastfeeding Foundations Classes at MUSC
Your instructors for this class are all registered nurses who work in the obstetrical department at MUSC. They have been specially trained in assisting and educating breastfeeding mothers. They have volunteered to teach this class and have a personal interest in breastfeeding.
You may see them again when you come to the hospital to have your baby as your labor and delivery nurse.
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Breast milk components and anatomy of the breast
- Pumping and storing breastmilk
- Nutrition for the mother during breastfeeding
- Newborn reflexes for feeding; how to tell when your baby is hungry; nursing sleepy, fussy and uncooperative babies; beginning and preparing for breastfeeding; supplies; techniques and positions; helpful hints and tips to ease problems
- Common problems and going back to work
- Breastfeeding resources for further help
There is a $10 fee to cover materials used for this class that is offered to our patients and the community. All classes are held from 6pm - 8pm, in the 2 West Classroom in the main University Hospital.
Your instructor will contact you the week before class to confirm.
Parking is available in the Jonathan Lucas visitor garage- bring your parking ticket to class for validation.
- Find a date that works for you
- Call 843-792-5300
- Tell the operator that you want to register for the Breastfeeding Classes.