Laurie's Weight Loss Story
Note: Confidentiality is of the utmost importance to us at the MUSC Weight Management Center. The patients listed on our website have granted us express permission to share their program results and pictures, as well as their names, with our website visitors.
Before and After Pictures:
Program: Focus Knockout (special team-based version of Focus)
Start Date: 1/07/08
End Date: 04/30/08
- Weight Loss: 180.2 to 151.3 (lost 28.9 lbs and 16% of her starting weight)
- Body Mass Index (BMI): 32 to 27.5
Blood Lipid Changes:
- Total Cholesterol: 214 (high) to 153 (healthy)
- LDL (bad) Cholesterol: 154 (high) to 99 (healthy)
- HDL (good) Cholesterol: 37 (low) to 40 (healthy)
- Triglycerides: 117 (high) to 69 (healthy)
Body Composition Changes:
- Body Fat %: 41.6% to 26.8% (reduced body fat by 14.8 percentage points, which represents a 36% reduction in this measure)
- Waist: 36.5" to 32.75" (lost 3.75 inches)
- Hips: 41.75" to 39" (lost 2.75 inches)
Overcoming Obstacles (in patient's own words):
"My two biggest obstacles were focusing on either diet or exercise, but never both together, and attempting to lose weight by myself. At any given time in the past, I was either on a diet, reading a book about dieting, or trying to find the time to exercise regularly. But now that I look back on my attempts, I always focused separately on either nutrition OR activity. My physician grandfather always said it is diet AND exercise together that works, and he was right. The other crucial component to my current success was having a team of folks to stay motivated and keep me on track towards reaching my goals. Alone I was not successful; but with a team of tenacious biggest losers who were striving for the same goals and supportive family at home, the encouragement and like-minded thinkers helped me to shed the pounds and acknowledge the importance of living the 'alternative' (healthy) lifestyle."
Not intended to portray all results. Of course, individual outcomes vary and depend in part on degree of program adherence. That being said, our patients generally do very well!