Candy Stripers & Junior Volunteers
Candy Striper Volunteer Program 2013
We are very excited about our 2013 Candy Striper Volunteer Program. The goal is to provide positive, energetic students (ages 14-18) who are possibly interested in healthcare or other real world experience with an environment and an opportunity to learn, help others, build friendships, and give back. The program also provides assistance to departments that could use extra sets of hands. The Candy Stripers Volunteers also help to make the hospital a little happier and friendlier. Volunteering can be a rewarding way to spend your summer! Please be sure to take a look at the program overview and requirements as we are implementing some changes this year. Note that due to the volume of applications we receive, and the specific requirements of the program, we are unable to place every applicant.
-Interviews will be conducted by appointment
-Orientation Date for both 2013 sessions: 6/10/13
-Session 1: 6/17-7/3/13
-Session 2: 7/15-8/2/13
- Volunteer hours for each session are Monday-Friday 8am-4pm
Acceptance into the program is contingent upon the completion of the following steps:
- Must be at least 14yrs old by the date of Orientation
- Completed Online Application
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (Official Documentation must be provided during interview)
- 1-2 Paragraph Essay explaining reasons for volunteering on application
- 1 Letter of Recommendation (Teacher, Guidance Councilor, Employer, Leader of an Organization the student is involved in, etc) brought in during interview
During the program, volunteers will come in Monday thru Friday (8am-4pm) for three weeks and work with specific departments throughout the hospital. Participants will be allowed 2 excused absences per session. Uniforms, Hospital ID’s, $5/day for lunch, and parking will be provided.