Hand Therapy is an advanced clinical specialty area devoted to treating a variety of upper extremity physical conditions. Arthritis, trauma, disease and many other orthopedic and neurological conditions can affect upper extremity function and disrupt performance of even the simplest activities of daily living (ADL’s). At MUSC, the staff of Certified Hand Therapists (CHT) has advanced educational and clinical training in treating injury and disorders of the upper extremity.
What conditions can benefit from treatment by a Hand Therapist?
There are numerous types of disorders and types of trauma to the wrist, hand and fingers that are treated by Hand Therapists. Some of the most common conditions are:
- Tendon injuries
- Joint problems associated with Rheumatoid arthritis and Osteoarthritis
- Injury to nerves of the upper extremity
- Cumulative trauma conditions
- Amputation of the arm or fingers
- Crushing injuries
Hand Therapy Services
Your Hand Therapist will perform a comprehensive musculoskeletal, sensory, strength and ADL evaluation to identify areas that are affected by your injury or condition and to establish a baseline functional status. Working with the patient, family members and your physician, your therapist will design a treatment program directed toward meeting specific and attainable goals intended to improve functional performance. Some examples of evaluations and treatments provided by our therapist include:
- Post-operative wound care
- Customized hand splinting
- Edema management
- Sensory retraining
- Scar control and management
- Prosthetics training
- Programs to restore range of motion and strength
- Functional activities of daily living retraining
Hand Therapy services are currently available at our James Island and West Ashley locations.