Pastoral Care

pastoral/spiritual care

Pastoral Care Services

Pastoral Care Services is committed to providing care that respects the religious and spiritual values of all patients, family members and staff persons.

Our Services Include:

  • Spiritual Support
  • Support through experiences of pain, suffering & loss, or change of health status
  • Coping with hospitalization & treatment
  • Specific faith tradition options are offered
  • Guidance in decision-making: treatment options, transition concerns, end-of-life choices
  • Assistance with Advance Directives--Living Wills and Health Care Power of Attorney
  • Notary Public, Ombudsmans

Chaplains provide and facilitate:

  • Seasonal Worship Services
  • Memorial Services
  • Grief and Support Services, as requested
  • Anatomical Gift Service/MUSC’s Body Donation Program
  • Religious ministry including prayer, blessings, baptisms, communion, other religious rituals, sacraments

A chaplain is available and on-call in the hospital 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Chaplains seek to respect fully all religious and spiritual needs.  Staff chaplains seek to meet needs as they arise, but there are also instances where clergy of specific religious affiliation can be called and accessed for patient needs.

St. Lukes Chapel Garden

The Garden at St. Luke's Chapel at MUSC

This popular non-denominational wedding location, located at the corner of Ashley Avenue and Bee Street, was originally part of a Federal arsenal built between 1825 and 1832 by the United States government. It was later obtained in 1879 by the Reverend Anthony Toomer Porter for the education of boys orphaned or left destitute by the Civil War. In 1883 Dr. Porter converted the artillery shed into a chapel. The building served Porter Academy students from 1883 to 1965.

The Medical College (now Medical University) of South Carolina took possession of the property at that time. The Chapel was rededicated on April 17, 1966, and renamed to honor the important biblical figure St. Luke the Physician.
 
 
 

© Medical University of South Carolina | 171 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425