Grounds for Your Garden
Ground coffee does more than brew a great cup of "joe." Those used grounds can also be used in your spring garden and beds.
* Sprinkle used grounds around plants before rain or watering, for a slow-release nitrogen
* Add to compost piles to increase nitrogen balance. Coffee filters and tea bags break down rapidly during composting.
* Dilute with water for a gentle, fast-acting liquid fertilizer. Use about a half-pound can of wet grounds in a five-gallon bucket of water; let sit outdoors to achieve ambient temperature
* Mix into soil for houseplants or new vegetable beds
* Encircle the base of the plant with a coffee and eggshell barrier to repel pests.
* If you are into vermi-posting, feed a little bit to your worms
Starbucks gives away used coffee grounds for FREE! It is helpful if you can bring in a container for the grounds to go in. The ART Starbucks is open Monday – Thursday, 6:30 AM – 5 PM and 6:30 AM – 4 PM on Friday.