Clinical Neuropsychology is a specialty profession that focuses on how behavior and skills are related to brain structures and systems. A Clinical Neuropsychologist is a licensed professional who will conduct a detailed assessment of abilities to assist with diagnosis and treatment planning.
Why have I been referred?
Neuropsychological evaluations are often requested to help other professionals understand how the different areas and systems of the brain are working. Testing is usually recommended when there are reported or observed changes in thinking or behavior.
What will be measured?
The evaluation may include assessment of some or all of the following: learning and memory, attention and concentration, language, higher-level executive functioning, motor and sensory skills, visual-perceptual skills, general intellect, mood, and personality.
What can I expect on the day of testing?
- Be prepared for a 3-4 hour appointment
- Remember to wear eye glasses and hearing aids if you need them
- Bring a list of your current medications
- Bring records of any prior neuropsychological evaluations if you have them
- Also, please get a good night of sleep prior to your visit