Deep Brain Stimulation
The ability to alter brain function by the focused application of small electrical impulses has changed forever the treatment of advanced Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders such as Essential Tremor and Dystonia.
MUSC is one of the most experienced centers for DBS surgery in the region. DBS has been performed at MUSC for the last ten years under the guidance of Dr. Takacs, who has performed more than 1,000 DBS implants.
We perform DBS surgery weekly for patients with Parkinson’s Disease, Essential Tremor and Dystonia. We have become the chosen referral center of the South East for particularly difficult cases, with great success.
The key to successful DBS surgery is our interdisciplinary team led by Dr. Revuelta who is a fellowship trained Movement Disorder Neurologist and DBS specialist. As a patient going through this process you will benefit from a multidisciplinary team approach at all stages. In the screening process prior to surgery you will be evaluated by a neurologist, neuropsychologist and neurosurgeon. In the surgery itself the neurologist, neurophysiologist and neurosurgeon work together to ensure correct placement. After the surgery is completed careful programming by experienced personnel is the key to having the best possible outcome.
Deep Brain Stimulation is:
- FDA approved therapy for Parkinson's Disease, Dystonia and Essential Tremor
- Can be greatly effective for the right patients at the right time in their disease process
- Can be adjusted to achieve optimal benefits and reduce side effects
- To ensure the best possible results, a multidisciplinary team before and after DBS is essential; our team includes:
- Nurses and nurse practitioners dedicated to caring for patients with movement disorders and DBS
Physicians wishing to refer patients should review our DBS referral criteria and use our DBS Expedited Referral Form.