Heart and Vascular Center
Why MUSC's Heart & Vascular Center
MUSC Heart and Vascular Center is considered one of the nation's best:
- Ranked by U.S. News and World Report (2012-2013) in both Adult and Pediatric Cardiology & Heart Surgery
- We treat more than 14,000 patients each year and our outcomes are among the best in the country, according to the University Hospital Consortium.
- Our Heart and Vascular Center is South Carolina’s most preferred institution for heart care, according to the National Research Corporation (NRC).
- Board-certified physicians and heart surgeons from all related specialties team up in one place at our Heart & Vascular Center to coordinate a specific treatment plan for each patient at the heart center.
- We have the most advanced technology and imaging equipment.
- Our nationally accredited Chest Pain Center delivers quick and accurate assessments of heart problems in the earliest critical stages.
- We participate in national clinical trials, offering the newest therapies and translating basic research into applications that immediately benefit patients.
- More than 20 years ago, we performed the state’s first heart transplantation at our heart center. Today, our Heart and Vascular Center is the only one in the state that offers heart transplants, HeartMate II (left-ventricular assistive device) and surgery for inherited heart problems.
- In 2006, MUSC became one of the first hospitals in South Carolina to implement the Hypothermia After Cardiac Arrest Protocol, and continues to use the treatment for eligible cardiac arrest patients