Fitness for a Healthier Heart
Developing an exercise program that is right for you is strongly recommended to maintain a healthy heart. Even exercising for as little as 30 minutes three days a week could improve your heart health and reduce your risk of heart disease. It’s important to consult your doctor before you start any exercise plan
Here are a few tips to help you get started, and stick with it:
- Start slowly and build up gradually
- Make your goal realistic and specific
- Begin at the speed and distance where you feel comfortable.
- Each week increase the time you exercise by 10%
- Spread your workouts over the week, allowing at least one rest day in between
- Pick activities you enjoy
- Many local fitness centers offer evaluations followed by exercise programs designed specifically for you. The MUSC Wellness Center can also provide such evaluations, upon referral by your physician. The fitness assessment includes a health questionnaire and tests of cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, endurance, flexibility and body composition. Results are used to make fitness program recommendations.