Located in one of the most technologically advanced heart hospitals in the United States, the Tourville Arrhythmia Center has state-of-the art EP labs that provide electro-anatomic mapping systems, intra-cardiac echocardiography, invasive hemodynamic monitoring and support, and Tandem Heart and cardiopulmonary bypass for complex ablation procedures. Intra-operative ablations are performed in the cardiac operating rooms, where physicians are pioneering robotic and minimally invasive approaches to non-pharmacological management of arrhythmias.
Among the most exciting treatments at the Tourville Arrhythmia Center are the catheter ablation procedure for treating atrial fibrillation in the upper chambers of heart and ventricular ablation to treat complex arrhythmias in the lower chambers. MUSC also continues to be a leader in cardiac electrophysiology and studies of new technologies for defibrillators for the treatment of arrhythmias. These devices are used to treat cardiac arrhythmias in the bottom parts of the heart, which can be more immediately life threatening. Another area of cardiac electrophysiology involves the use of pacemakers to treat congestive heart failure.
All patients referred for evaluation of cardiac arrhythmias receive:
- Initial appointment including complete medical evaluation by one of our EP cardiologists
- State-of-the-art diagnostics
- Personalized treatment plan and arrhythmia education
- Timely updates to referring physicians
- Definitive therapy that may include interventional procedures, ablation or medicinal treatment
- Multidisciplinary team care from dedicated and experienced physicians, nurses, anesthesiologists, patient coordinators, clinical pharmacists, social workers and financial counselors
- Dedicated clinical and research teams
- Housed in Ashley River Tower, a state-of-the-art facility opened in February 2008
- 7 catheterization and EP rooms, including 4 state-of-the-art EP labs with stereotactic and rotational angiographic systems, and one non-invasive room
- Dedicated cardiac operating rooms and a hybrid interventional OR Interventional radiology facilities
- Nationally accredited chest pain center
- Outpatient clinics
- 10-bed cardiac care unit, 11-bed cardiothoracic surgery unit, dedicated wards (all private rooms)