Home |  Video Library | Podcast Library | e-Newsletters | Classes & Events | About Us | Community Blog | University & Colleges 

Contact Us | 843-792-1414
Patients & Visitors Medical Services Maps & Parking Health Library Health Professionals Careers
Online Services
Nutrition Main Navigation
About Nutrition Services
Clinical Services
Dining Services
Our Team
Nutrition Education
Ask a Dietitian
News & Events
Contact Us
» For Nutrition Professionals «
Health Library
Bookmark Page icon Bookmark |

Print this page icon

| E-mail icon
Dietitian Q/A

Because of the contents of some questions and the large number we receive, the MUSC Dietitians only answer selected questions. Although we discourage questions regarding personal health problems, scheduling an appointment with the outpatient dietitian to address these concerns is encouraged. Appointments can be made after a physician referral is received.

Enter a keyword or phrase:
 Question:  If I eat carbs or more than 1400 calories (even when I am working out), I gain weight. I have been taking my body fat percentage and the weight gain is fat not muscle. I don't understand what's going on. My mom has hypothyroidism. Is this something that I could possibly have? Could this be a gluten intolerance? I just want to figure out why I can't eat like normal people!


It is possible to have an underlying medical condition, such as hypothyroidism, that can make it difficult to lose weight or to keep from gaining weight. In order to determine if this is the case, it’s best to go see your doctor. There are tests he/she can perform to determine if there is an underlying medical cause. If there is an underlying cause, your doctor may need to prescribe medication for the cause.


Whether or not you have a medical condition causing your weight gain, it can be helpful to see a registered dietitian to determine how best to be eating for weight loss. He/she can individualize a meal/diet plan for you that meets your specific needs.


To schedule an appointment with our outpatient dietitian:

1) Obtain a referral from you physician. They can use the referral form from the following link:
    Or they can use their own form.
2) Have your physician fax the referral to 843-792-2995. The scheduling department will then contact you to set up the appointment.

Answered: 06/03/2011

About This Site   |   Disclaimer   |  Privacy   |   Accessibility   |   Donations   |   Site Map
171 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29403 1.843.792.1414 | © yyyy Medical University of South Carolina
mobile web site iconrss feed iconText Messaging iconPodcast Library Follow MUSCHealth on Twitter MUSChealth YouTube Channel