Why MUSC Hollings Cancer Center
As one of the leading cancer treatment centers in the Southeast, Hollings Cancer Center combines the full range of cancer specialties – including medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology, chemotherapy, and reconstructive surgery – to deliver a higher level of care to the patients we serve. Our team of more than 60 super-specialists – each concentrating on a specific discipline of cancer treatment and care – works with individual patients to develop customized treatment programs that target a broad range of conditions. Often in just one day – and under one roof - patients receive individualized attention from several specialists and complete the diagnostic procedures needed for a confident assessment of type and stage. We complement that care with funded research programs for specific diseases and multidisciplinary tumor boards where physicians share their collective expertise to explore the best treatments for individual patients.
Awards, recognitions and accreditations:
|Hollings Cancer Center is one of fewer than 70 cancer centers in the nation - and the only one in South Carolina - to receive a designation from the National Cancer Institute (NCI)|
2014 – 2015: Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as being among the top 25% in cancer care in the U.S.
2011 – 2012: Top Doctors award by U.S. News & World Report recognized 15 members of our cancer care team.
2013: Hollings was awarded a Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (Continuously Accredited since 1936)
|Our Comprehensive Breast Care Program is accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)|
|Our breast imaging staff was awarded a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence designation by the American College of Radiology (ACR).|
|2011: The Jenny Sullivan Sanford Melanoma & Skin Cancer Program was named a Melanoma Center of Excellence (MCE) by the Melanoma Hope Network|
The highest level of care:
- Hollings Cancer Center offers patients state-of-the-art therapies, treatments and technologies, including Tomotherapy, the Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion and the da Vinci Surgical System
- MUSC is one of a small number of health care centers in the nation offering orthopaedic oncology care
- We offer South Carolina's first, largest and most comprehensive adult blood and bone marrow transplant program and the only pediatric blood and marrow transplants
- MUSC Health is a Blue Distinction Center+ for bone marrow transplants (BMTs), one of only five centers nationwide with the Center+ distinction and the only center awarded this distinction for both Adult and Pediatric BMTs. According to BlueCross BlueShield, Blue Distinction Centers+ are hospitals recognized for their expertise and efficiency in delivering specialty care.
- MUSC is one of only a few centers in the Southeast using the video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) technique in a large percentage of cases
- Our Advanced Breast Reconstruction Program uses the revolutionary DIEP (Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforation) technique
- We're the only center is South Carolina able to perform surgery on prostate tumors in four different ways: robotic, perineal, retropubic and laparoscopic
- Hollings Cancer Center has one of the world's most renowned Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) facilities
- MUSC offers the only program for advanced melanoma care in South Carolina
- In collaboration with MUSC's Children's Hospital, we treat a large percentage of all South Carolina children battling cancer