Patient Resources

MUSC hollings cancer center

Social Work at Hollings Cancer Center

The Social Workers associated with Hollings Cancer Center collaborate closely with our multidisciplinary medical teams to ensure high quality of care for patients in all settings. Social Workers help cancer patients, their families and caregivers in coping through the entire trajectory of their cancer journey through prediagnosis, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and beyond. 

For social work services, contact:

Renea Bligen LISW, 843-792-3346, or
Eanna Aaron LISW, 843-876-2060, or

Tiombe Plair LMSW, 843-792-5131, or
Jennifer Reyes LMSW, (brain tumor only) 843-792-9460, or

Call the Social Work Office at 843-792-9535 for additional information or assistance.

Social Workers begin with a thorough assessment of the client, situation, and available resources. They have much experience in locating and negotiating systems so clients get the services they need. All MUSC social workers hold a Masters Degree in Social Work – a 2 year degree with at least 900 hours of supervised field work in established agencies. All have extensive work experience (between 10 and 30 years).

Social Workers help the client and family understand and adjust to illness. They provide direct services - impart information, make referrals, screen and assess clients, provide short term counseling and intervene in crisis situations. They also are involved in advocating for the patient both within the hospital and community. They work with individuals, families, groups and the community. Social Workers facilitate support groups and provide community education.

Questions we frequently address:

  • How can I pay for treatment?  
  • I used to be a work horse, now I’m tired all the time
  • I need help in caregiving
  • I’m afraid
  • Will I be without hair the rest of my life? 
  • How can I get from Adams Run to radiation therapy every day for 6 weeks? 
  • This medication costs $1,000 a pill…how can I afford that? 
  • I can’t work any longer…how will I pay my rent?
  • How will I survive my husband’s possible death?  
  • What do I tell my kids?

© Medical University of South Carolina | 171 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425