blood & bone marrow transplants
What to Expect
- The time of the transplant procedure will vary from 1 to 3 hours, depending on the type of blood and marrow transplant.
- Blood and marrow transplant patients should expect to stay in the hospital 3 to 4 weeks. Our length of stay is among the nation’s shortest, designed to reduce the risk of infection. MUSC’s beautiful new blood and marrow transplant facility features comfortable rooms with lovely views.
- We prefer to release patients to a local hotel and combine inpatient and outpatient treatments. Treatments can last from a week to several months.
- Caregivers must be present around the clock for a minimum of a week at a time to ensure consistency of care.
Following the return home, patients increase the chances of their transplant being successful by:
- Taking new medications daily
- Washing hands frequently
- Avoiding sick people
- Avoiding gardening