blood & bone marrow transplants
What to Expect
- The time of the transplant procedure will vary from 1 to 3 hours, depending on the type of blood and marrow transplant.
- Blood and marrow transplant patients should expect to stay in the hospital 3 to 4 weeks. Our length of stay is among the nation’s shortest, designed to reduce the risk of infection. MUSC’s beautiful new blood and marrow transplant facility features comfortable rooms with lovely views. Take a virtual tour.
- We prefer to release patients to a local hotel and combine inpatient and outpatient treatments. Treatments can last from a week to several months.
- Caregivers must be present around the clock for a minimum of a week at a time to ensure consistency of care.
Following the return home, patients increase the chances of their transplant being successful by:
- Taking new medications daily
- Washing hands frequently
- Avoiding sick people
- Avoiding gardening