Blood & Bone Marrow Transplants at MUSC
MUSC's experience and innovation with adult and pediatric blood and bone marrow transplants have resulted in outcomes that are among the best in the country. As a pioneer in many types of blood and bone marrow transplants, MUSC is the definitive source of hope for many adult and pediatric patients battling Hodgkin's disease, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, cancer and other diseases.
MUSC's Blood and Bone Marrow Transplantation Achievements
- MUSC Health is a Blue Distinction Center+ for bone marrow transplants (BMTs), one of only five centers nationwide with the Center+ distinction and the only center awarded this distinction for both Adult and Pediatric BMTs. According to BlueCross BlueShield, Blue Distinction Centers+ are hospitals recognized for their expertise and efficiency in delivering specialty care.
- The first to perform a bone marrow transplant in South Carolina.
- The first, largest and most comprehensive blood and bone marrow transplant program in South Carolina.
- A designated blood and bone marrow transplant center for South Carolina's Medicaid program.
- South Carolina's only approved unrelated donor program.
- South Carolina's only approved umbilical cord blood transplant program.
- South Carolina's only pediatric blood and marrow transplants.
- A National Marrow Donor Program collection and transplant center.
Additionally, MUSC's blood and bone marrow transplantation program is certified by, approved by or associated with all agencies and registries that distinguish respected transplant programs, including:
- American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT)
- Foundation for Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)