The focus of MUSC’s breast cancer survivorship program is risk reduction. This program includes a clinic, meetings and a newsletter. At the meetings, breast cancer survivors are encouraged to bring their family and friends to learn about risk reduction topics such as diet and exercise, stress reduction and spirituality.
Survivorship meetings occur every other month. They focus on risk reduction through diet and exercise. Often times speakers come and address stress reduction and spirituality issues following cancer diagnosis.
Some of the topics that have been presented are:
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (hosted by a Psych Liason Nurse)
- When Bad Things Happen (hosted by a Reverend)
- Here's To a Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner (hosted by a Registered Dietician)
- Let's Get Moving (hosted by a Fitness Instructor)
- Middle Eastern Dancing (hosted by a breast cancer survivor)
- Getting It All Down on Paper: The Art of Therapeutic Journaling (hosted by a Chaplain)
- Zumba fitness (hosted by a certified zumba fitness instructor)
- How to talk to my Family about my cancer diagnosis (hosted by Behavioral Medicine)