About Us

About MUSC Health

MUSC Timeline

Significant Events in the History of MUSC

The MUSC Seal

Seal of the Medical University

On December 20, 1823, a Charter was granted for a medical college (legislation provided no funding, proprietary school) at the request of the Medical Society of South Carolina.

1824

Opening (Medical College of South Carolina)

1825

1st graduating class (Eli Geddings, the first of 5 graduates)

1826

1st permanent building (on Queen Street, at Franklin)

1832

School Split - Medical College of South Carolina and Medical College of the State of South Carolina

1839

Reconciliation between the two factions under the name Medical College of the State of South Carolina

1850

First Roper Hospital building construction on Queen Street (medical college teaching hospital)

1852

Roper Hospital "more or less complete"

1854

Roper Hospital used for yellow fever epidemic

1856

Roper Hospital in regular use

1861

School closed due to War (after graduation in March 1861)

1865

School reopened with faculty returned from War

1881

Pharmacy School created

1882

Pharmacy School opened

1883

School of Nursing opened

1886

Charleston earthquake damage closes Roper Hospital

1890

3-year graded course established for the College of Medicine

1894

Medical school opened to women (announced in catalog)

1898

First women admitted

1899

4-year graded course established for the College of Medicine

1901

First women graduated: Love Rosa Hirschmann, M.D. (Mrs. Robert Joseph Gantt) Emilie Melanie Viett, M.D. (Mrs. Henry Rundlett) 

1904

City Hospital's "South Carolina Training School for Nurses" became "Roper Hospital Training School for Nurses"

1906

Roper Hospital new building "Old Roper" (corner of Calhoun and Lucas Streets)

1913

Medical College of the State of South Carolina became a state institution

1914

New building - campus moved to present site

1919

Roper Hospital Training School for Nurses became the School of Nursing of the Medical College of the State of South Carolina.

1924

Centennial Celebration

1943

"New" Roper Hospital construction began 

1950

First students admitted to Graduate Studies Program

1950

Board of Trustee titles change from President and Vice President to Chairman and Vice Chairman

1952

Name changed back to original name: Medical College of South Carolina

1953

S. C. General Assembly approved the establishment of a Dental School

1955

Medical College Hospital opened - prior to 1955, Roper Hospital served as the teaching hospital for the medical college

1959

The 1906 "Old" Roper Hospital building closed

1965

School of Graduate Studies officially founded

1965

First African-American student admitted to College of Medicine

1966

School of Allied Health Sciences founded

1966

Organization of the Board into four subcommittees in December 1966

1966

College of Nursing diploma program became baccalaureate degree program

1967

First class enrolled in School of Dental Medicine 

1969College of Allied Health Sciences (1969-1986)

1969

University status attained name change to Medical University of South Carolina and schools within the university changed to "colleges"

1969

Hospital Strike of ninety-nine days (March 20 - June 27)

1970

Family Practice Program established. One of the first in the nation. Dr. Hiram B. Curry was named Professor and Chairman of the new department.

1971

First African-American student graduated from the College of Medicine

1971

First class graduated from the College of Dental Medicine

1974

Sesquicentennial Celebration

1977

Faculty-Alumni House (Wickliffe) property acquired (including Guest House), with funds donated by Margaret Wickliffe of West Union, SC

1980

25th Anniversary of the Medical University Hospital opening

1986

MUSC College of Health Related Professions (1986-1993)

1993

Establishment of the MUSC College of Health Professions

For more information about the history of MUSC, contact the Waring Historical Library.

 
 
 

© Medical University of South Carolina | 171 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425